Cristina Liberta-Cotto, Assistant Principal
Jennifer Schneider, Assistant Principal
Shani Long-Boxill, Community School Director
Shakeya Stephenson, Community Coordinator
Alexa Calisto, Parent Coordinator/Empire Coordinator
Krista Pollina, 21st Century After-School Assistant Coordinator
While the main focus in the program will be on academic enrichment and remediation, other components will focus on building social, physical, and emotional development through activities in fitness, sports, visual arts, culture, science, math, and technology.
The I.S. 228 After School program has three major components:
- Academic Enrichment
- Youth Development
- Parent/Family Literacy Services
21st Century Community Learning Centers (CCLC)
Empire State Afterschool Program (NIA)
After School Sessions:
October 18-January 14
January 18-April 17
April 25- June 17
- All students will need to re-enroll (choose new classes) for each session.
- Different activities will be offered in each session.
- Boys Basketball (JV, Varsity)
- Girls Basketball (JV, Varsity)
November 6- Basketball Tryouts
*As per DOE guidance, all students participating in high risk sports must be fully vaccinated. Must have at least 1 shot of the vaccination to be able to try out.
High-risk sports include football, volleyball, basketball, wrestling, lacrosse, stunt, and rugby. Vaccination will also be required for participation in bowling, because while not a high-risk sport, it takes place in spaces that require vaccination. (https://www.schools.nyc.gov/school-life/health-and-wellness/sports-and-staying-active/public-schools-athletic-league )
Special Education Recovery Services
Begins November 8, 2021
- Students with IEPs are entitled to receive recovery services in the after-school program
- This includes academic instruction (ELA and math) as well as Related Services (Speech, OT, PT, etc.)
- The services are determined by the student’s progress on their IEP goals
Health and Safety
- The health and safety of students and staff are the utmost priority when considering offering after-school programming.
- In person after-school has been developed in accordance with DOE, DOH and CDC guidelines.
- Programming will only be offered to participants that are present for the school day.
- Students will be assigned an after-school schedule approximately every 10 weeks.
- Once after-school schedules are established, students must keep that schedule for the semester.
- By signing your child up for after-school you are acknowledging that your child will be in contact with additional students and staff for the day.
- We will not be able to accommodate switching of classes once program begins; as this will encourage cross contamination.
- Students who feel ill during after-school will have their temperatures checked by the nurse.
- At the nurse’s discretion, students exhibiting symptoms associated with COVID-19 will:
- Contact parents immediately
- Parents are expected to make necessary arrangements to pick their child up ASAP.
- All students are expected to follow same COVID precautions as during the school day (wearing masks, social distancing, etc.)
- Failure to comply will result in immediate removal from programming.
- Snack: Students will receive a free snack from School Foods. They can bring their own snack but cannot share. They will be spaced 3 feet apart.
- Classrooms:All afterschool programs will follow DOE protocol when in classrooms. Students are placed 3 feet apart. All equipment will be sanitized after use.
- All school rules will be enforced.
- It is expected that students participate in all assigned activities.
- Students must be respectful of staff, other participants and school property.
- Zero tolerance for bullying.
- Physical force against other students or staff is prohibited and will result in suspension or removal from after-school.
- Cell phones are not allowed during after-school.
- Students may use the phone in room 113 if they need to contact a parent.
- If parents need to contact their child please call the school at:
- (718) 375-7635 ext. 1132
- Students are expected to maintain consistent attendance in afterschool.
- Attendance is taken daily. It is imperative that your child signs in for each class.
- You will receive a call/text if your child is absent.
- Excessive absences will result in removal from program.
- If your child needs to remove a class from their schedule, please contact program staff.
- We will not remove a class without parent permission.
- Dismissal times are 4:00 PM and 5:15 PM.
- Students are not allowed to leave the building alone before their designated dismissal times.
- In the event of an emergency, parents must call the school in advanced so we can have students ready for pickup.
- You must be an authorized adult to pick up a student before their designated dismissal times.
- *Excessive early pickups may result in removal from program.
- If you are running late, please call the main office, or send a message on Remind APP.
- Bussing services are not available for after school.
- All students are considered walkers. If you are picking up your child they will be waiting by the front gate.
- Complete the application found here: https://forms.gle/dxtyw9GCzQtcSgfX9
- You will receive confirmation of the application once it is complete.
- Schedules will then be sent for families to complete. You will be able to choose 2 activities per session. Students will get 1 of their two choices.
- Schedules will be distributed by no later than 10/15/21. If you do not receive a schedule by then, please see staff in room 113.
- Classes will be filled on a first come, first serve basis for all programs. If you do not get your 1st choice during the Fall session, you have the opportunity to choose new classes for the Winter session.