High School Information
Apply For High School
- Tuesday, October 3, 2023: Register for the Specialized High Schools Admissions Test (SHSAT). Interested in one or more of the testing Specialized High Schools? If so, register for the SHSAT; taking this test is how you apply to these eight schools.
- Tuesday, October 3, 2023: High School Application Opens. This is how you apply to most of NYC's 700+ program options. When the application opens, list 12 program choices in your order of preference. Some programs may have additional requirements, such as an audition or assessment. Additionally, some programs consider students' academic records in admissions.
- Friday, October 27, 2023: The deadline to register for the SHSAT
- Wednesday, November 8, 2023: SHSAT exam
- 11/18 or 11/19 : SHSAT makeup exam for students who were unable to take the exam
- Friday, December 1,2023: The deadline to submit the High School and LaGuardia application
- Friday, December 1, 2023: The deadline to submit additional information for auditions.
- Thursday, March 7, 2024: High School and Specialized High School Offers
- TBD: Waitlist Numbers available
- TBD: Waitlist close
High School Admissions Guide will be provided to students later this Fall. Feel free to view this year's admission guide electronically.
This book provides an overview of the admissions process and additional resources for high school, including a section on how to use MySchools. (Welcome Letters are NOT yet available).
Please visit the following websites for more information: (Information subject to change)
- MySchoolsDirectory: https://www.myschools.nyc/en/schools/high-school/
- Specialized High Schools: www.schools.nyc.gov/SHS
- Audition: HSAuditions
- Assessments for Screened Schools: Screened Admissions Criteria or Assessments
- Schools that Require Additional Assessments: https://www.schools.nyc.gov/enrollment/enroll-grade-by-grade/high-school/assessments-for-screened-schools
- Sign up for email updates: www.schools.nyc.gov/SignUp
- Admissions Video Series (tutorials): www.schools.nyc.gov/High AND www.schools.nyc.gov/SHS
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I apply for high school?
Families WILL apply to high school online at MySchools.nyc when the application opens. To create an account for MySchools.nyc you will need an account creation code. This code can be found on your Welcome Letter. If you've created an account and do not remember the password you must reset your password. If you no longer have access to the email address you used to set up your account, please contact the school at (718) 375-7635 ext. 1135. Account creation codes are not yet available.
When will Welcome Letters be available?
Welcome Letters were were provided to students on Tuesday, October 3rd. If your child did not receive a welcome letter they can stop by the main office in room 113 during their lunch period. This letter provides information on how to create an account. If you already have an account, it will show you the email address used.
I created an account previously, I do not remember my log in information. How can I access MySchools?
If you do not remember the email address used to register for MySchools, please email [email protected]. If you need to reset your password, please visit: https://www.myschools.nyc/en/account/forgot-password/.
What can I do now?
We are unfortunately unable to make any changes to your submitted application. Families should wait for acceptance letters which will be released on March 7th. If a student is accepted to a school you are unhappy with, you may add programs to your waitlist. Waitlist offers are not guaranteed. If you need help with the waitlist, please let us know.
What is a good school for my child?
There is no simple answer to this question. There are several factors to consider. These include: location, available methods of transportation, admissions method/requirements, your child's interests, your child's gifts and natural aptitudes, your child's average course grades and the size of the school. Families must visit the MySchools Directory and attend open houses/tours to make a well informed decision. Please also visit the school's website that you may be interested in for additional information.
If you have questions please contact:
(718) 375-7635 ext. 1135
High School Admissions Assistance
Please contact Shakeya Stephenson at: [email protected].
Students who do not have access to MySchools.nyc will be receiving Welcome Letters with creation codes in the Fall. ONLY students who do not have an existing account will receive the Welcome Letter. If your child does not receive a Welcome Letter, this means there is already an existing account created for your child. If you do not recall the email used to setup your account please email Shakeya Stephenson [email protected].
Lunch Forms are required to be completed by all students. Information collected from the lunch form may provide students with admissions priority at certain high schools. Please complete the form by clicking the link here or visiting the main office for a paper copy.